6.13.2010

Dad's cabin


I still have some travel photos I want to post, but I feel like getting back to every day life today and every day life included a visit to my dad's cabin. The cabin is located on some property near Monroe and is one of those middle of the woods, get away from it all kind of places. There is no running water or electricity up there and only one place where you can make cell phone calls ("call rock"). The previous owner logged the property so my dad has been working on restoring it: replanting trees, making trails, building a shed, stuff like that. He's got big plans for it and I like watching how things progress.

A bunch of my aunts and uncles and a few cousins were in town for my grandma's birthday so we had a little family extravaganza with cake in a park and then a caravan up to the cabin. There we ate tin foil dinners roasted on the campfire, rode the ATV around, did a little target practice with the BB gun, and played a little get-to-know-you game my dad invented. It was an overall awesome time.

5 comments:

  1. That tree is crazy cool at the top and what an awesome place to be able to go to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cabin sounds amazing. i love technology and all but sometimes nothing sounds better than being completely disconnected like that. it must be a really cool and grounding experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it all looks fake. justin would never be allowed to shoot guns in our group. Can i get a copy of the Portok-poty and justin shooting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. your father's cabin looks delightful - just my kind of place. i think that is so great that he is planting new trees and getting the place back to its natural habitat. i hope one day i can do something like that - though in my in-the-middle-of-nowhere home, i will be focusing on growing veggies!

    ReplyDelete